Usual pattern of services
St. Mary's: 10.30 a.m. each Sunday ( Holy Communion 1st & 3rd );
The Colliery: 9.15 a.m. each Sunday ( Holy Communion 2nd & 4th )*
Mothel/Coolcullen: Noon 1st & 3rd Sundays (Holy Communion) 2nd Sunday 7pm Service of Wholeness & Healing*
Holy Trinity: Noon 2nd & 4th Sunday (Holy Communion), 10.30 a.m. 3rd Sundays (Morning Prayer)*
*5th Sundays in rotation around the four churches of the union as announced. See weekly notes in 'News' section
Oct 29th: 11am the Colliery Church
Please note: always check our News page for any changes to the normal schedule of services.
In 1399, King Henry IV ratifies the status of Walter Clyng, parson of the Church of the Holy Cross of Castlecomer, Ossory Diocese. Some thirty years later , Walter Comys, chaplain, having laid claim to the parish of Castlecomer and held it for ten years in opposition to William Stakboll, Prior of St John?s Abbey and the excommunication issued against him by Thomas, Bishop of Ossory, to be incurred if, within six days after the notification of same, he does not surrender the parish to the said Prior and make restitution of the temporalities which he had unjustly detained. The Bishops letter is dated August 16th 1428.
In 1540 St. John's Abbey was suppressed and its possessions, including the Rectory of Castlecomer, were granted to the Corporation of Kilkenny.
In 1637 Brennan territory was conveyed to Christopher Wandesford. Christopher Wandesford built an elegant town near the old Castle (i.e. Castlecomer)
"Sir Christopher Wandesford built for the new town, a very handsome church. And endowed it with lands worth £300 a year. Princely Magnificence! He also built a stately house for the minister and gave it to an able and goodly man..."
The ancient church was probably taken down at this time. No trace of it now remains.
The town was destroyed in the 1798 rebellion and afterwards Lady Ann Ormonde (snee Wandesford) offered leases of sites for the rebuilding of Castlecomer. She built many buildings of importance and restored St. Mary's Church as we see it today.
The Rector is the Rev Patrick G. Burke
phone: 056 4441677
email: [email protected]